Subject: Re: Scrambled PAR Anims
From: Joe <[email-masked]>
To: Carl Andrew Johnson <[email-masked]>
Cc: Lightwave <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 07:12:32 -0400 (EDT)

The drives I used with my PAR had heat problems causing board lock-ups and
other non-standard operation.  I found the only reliable way to use the
PAR in my Stuffed A2000 was with the case off and never render directly to
it.  I saved framestores which LW can write much quicker that RGB's and
PAR can load in about 2 secs on my machine (G-Force 040/33).  Compiling
and anim from the saved frames was quick and I never lost a bit of data. 
Al this talk of using the machine with the case on or off make no
difference as long as cool air gets to the components that want to
overheat.  2000s run OK with te case off but the 3000's and especially the
4000's are so cramped inside thqt they need the case to get the air to
flow over the boards and drives.  If I have a 4000 and used it without the
case, I would make sure a fan blew air on the heat producing parts.  It
just was not designed to be maxed out which is so easy to do because it
holds so little.  C= was tryng to give it a small footprint to somehow
make it more attractive to businesses to buy at the sacrafice of
functionality.  My old 2000 is big and ugly but it does get sufficient
cooling with the case off.  I do maintain it by blowing out the slots
occasionally.  Now that I have a "Drive In" and finally all the centronics
cables and such, I am considering closing it up again, putting the monitor
back on top of it and claiming back some real estate on my desk. 

There has been a lot of opinion about the quality of RGB's vs that of
framestores and I for one never notice any difference.  But if there is
any, and tech suppport from NT has made the point to me that framestores
are somehow less clean than the RGB's, it certainly can't make any
difference after it is JPEGed by the PAR and the time saved can be 30
second a frame and maybe up to a minute a frame on a slower machine. 

I am doing things with the flyer now and have a whole different set of 
problems. 

Joe Freeman the Video Junky 
[email-masked]
--
Joe <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]